Knowing the Difference Between a Car and Semi-Truck Accidents
- July 15, 2021
Car and semi-truck accidents both result in harm and destruction. However, the varying degree of injuries, damages, liabilities, involvement of insurance companies, and investigations largely differ. Being involved in either of these two unfortunate circumstances can cause a serious impact on one’s quality of life and career. This is why knowing what to do and who to call is important when faced with these tragic disasters.
If you’re currently in this situation, our attorneys at Selem Antonucci Law Firm can help you resolve your case with utmost confidence. With over 26 years of experience handling car and truck accidents, you can be sure that your lawsuit will be treated with diligence and that you, as a client, will be handled with utmost respect, honesty, and transparency.
To give you an overview of how car and semi-truck accidents differ, we will discuss some important points to consider when faced with such catastrophic events, so you may have an idea as to how the legal processes may come into play.
But first, let’s begin by determining what are the common causes of car and truck accidents:
- Driver error - To reduce the risk of an accident, truck drivers are expected to undergo in-depth training so they may be able to handle a commercial vehicle and secure a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Distraction - Drivers who simultaneously do other things while driving are in a dangerous situation are too distracted to focus on the road. This includes eating, smoking/vaping, drinking, changing music channels or playlists, applying makeup, or using a mobile phone.
- Inappropriate physical/mental state - Driving while medicated can result in drowsiness, blurred vision, or confusion. Stimulants such as highly caffeinated drinks and illegal drugs can also contribute to driving with a poor mental state. As for truck drivers, this may be caused by fatigue due to long hours spent on the road. For motorists to be able to function properly, they are required to take a resting time of 30 minutes minimum during the first eight hours and are only allowed to work for 70 hours a week.
- Blind spots - Trucks have limited viewing on their sides, rear, and front due to their huge and longer bodies. This may cause an accident, especially if a smaller car is running too close to the truck.
- Imbalanced trailer - When a truck is loaded improperly, this may cause an imbalance leading to a rollover collision.
- Malfunctioning vehicle - Brakes, missing/broken auto parts, and lack of maintenance can all lead to a serious incident when vehicles don’t undergo regular checks.
Being in a car accident can be one of the most traumatic incidents a person could ever encounter. Unfortunately, such events are made worse when semi-trucks are involved. No matter how big and heavy your car is, when an 18-wheeler truck, weighing around 40 tons and as high as 15 feet from the ground hits you, it’s hard to tell if one could survive such horrendous impact.
With this alone, you can see the major difference between a car and a truck accident. There are greater risks for injuries and deaths in truck accidents compared to regular car collisions. The people occupying the smaller vehicle are most likely disadvantaged in this type of accident.
And since long-distance haul trucking plays an important role in the US economy, more heavy and huge vehicles are expected to roll on the highways, increasing the number of trucking-related accidents that can result to:
- Loss of limb/amputation
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of memory
Accidents may not only lead to permanent disability and loss of life but can also damage properties. Unlike other vehicles, trucks have a higher tendency to cause wider damage, such as roll-over collisions. This causes accidents to other vehicles resulting in a higher number of wreckage and injuries.
Due to the large amount of compensation trucking insurance companies face, they will try to deny allegations thrown by the victims. And since large businesses usually have aggressive insurances with highly-trained lawyers, your best move would be to have yourself represented by an extremely skilled truck accident attorney that will help you face the case from negotiations to court trials, and ultimately give the best award you deserve
The individual responsible for the car accident may involve either or both parties. As for truck accidents, determining which causes this can be more complicated. The driver itself is likely to be considered liable. That said, it’s important to note that there can be other bodies involved such as the employer, operator, maintenance team, auto parts manufacturer, and the loading company.
To bring the best possible outcome in your case, our team at Selem Antonucci Law Firm will carefully examine the car and truck accident to determine the parties at fault and to help you achieve justice for you or your loved one.
In a car accident, the alleged at-fault driver and the insurance company are mainly the core of the case. When it comes to truck accidents, there can be more defendants together with their insurance companies involved.
The trial can be very difficult as no insurance party would want to accept the blame. To help you protect your rights and defend your claim, getting a tried-and-tested New Jersey lawyer will make you feel secure throughout the process.
Car accidents are mostly investigated by a police officer or a highway patrol and the report can be straightforward and easily generated. Truck accidents, however, are different as they may include findings from federal agencies. Taking another statement into consideration can be an added convolution of the litigation.
Look for an excellent advocate with the right expertise
Knowing the critical nature of car and truck accident cases, we recommend going for a committed advocate who is willing to work tirelessly on your case. Here at Selem Antonucci Law, you’ll find certified civil trial experts who have earned countless recommendations from clients with various cases and are known for their capability to provide the absolute best settlement. Call us now for your free consultation and get that well-deserved compensation.